A resort has a built in appeal to the masses as being a destination that can provide for all their guest needs. From lodging, dining, activities and adventure, resort guests don’t need to leave the property to have an incredible getaway. One challenge resorts face is how to properly market online. Below are the top actionable tips for resorts, so they can put their best face forward and generate more bookings than they thought possible.
Tips to Create a Resort Website Design That Converts
Not all web designs are created equal, as they need to be that perfect blend of form and function. We often see resort website that may be beautiful, but lack the proper integration of SEO, tracking, page speed, mobile friendliness, and more. Often times businesses feel comfortable going with a local designer instead of an industry expert which may save money, but can have an adverse effect on visibility and online bookings.
Make sure to integrate the following in your resort website design:
- Make sure your website is responsive, so all devices provide a great guest experience.
- Own your website.
- Integrate targeted SEO.
- Include proper revenue tracking.
- Include ability for users to sign up for email marketing.
- Create a blog and keep it active.
- Make sure your page speed is fast (it’s a balance between beauty & function).
- Craft beautiful pages for your major business segments and niches.
- Integrate a booking engine that’s compatible with packages, OTAs and is mobile friendly.
View our resort website design portfolio.
Search Engine Optimization Tips – Get Found in Google
The number one converting referrer for resorts is by far Google organic. Not integrating a strategic and aggressive search engine optimization strategy is leaving major dollars on the table.
- Make SEO a significant focus of your marketing budget.
- Understand that search engines are constantly changing so you must as well.
- Hire an expert with proven results to handle this important task.
- Don’t set it and forget it.
Email Marketing Tips that Work
An often overlooked marketing avenue is email marketing. Email marketing can be an incredible revenue stream for resorts. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Segment and tag their interests (spa, golf and so on).
- Keep track of user’s birthdays and special celebrations.
- Set up branded automation campaigns for your weddings, elopements and business retreat RFPs.
- Actively work on increasing your email list with creative and strategic campaigns.
Effective Paid Search Marketing Tips
Paid search marketing gets a bad wrap for being expensive and not offering high conversion rates. It takes an expertly managed campaign to achieve the desired result. These accounts should be managed, altered and adjusted each month. Budget fluctuations should be recommended throughout the year based on demand, the competition and user keyword search behavior changes.
- Test in Google Ads, Google Hotel Ads, Bing Ads and TripConnect.
- Have an appropriate budget for your area.
- Test, test and test some more.
- Create exceptional landing pages.
- Integrate seasonal changes.
- Stay on top of search behavior changes with a paid search expert.
Local Marketing Tips to Maximize Exposure
Local marketing is a piece of the digital marketing puzzle that resorts must pay attention to. From staycations, to restaurant and bar revenue, golf, spa and more, local marketing and networking should have a strategic approach.
- Submit your site to the major aggregators.
- Set up Google My Business and Bing Places and keep these updated as they are always changing.
- Monitor your name, address, and phone (NAP) to ensure it is correct in all channels throughout the year.
- Network locally for additional business and incoming links.
- Target locals and drive traffic with unique campaigns and promotions.
Logo Design Tips for Resorts – Your Brand is Everything
A logo should be professional, unique and be something where the public recognizes your identity as a business.
- Your logo should properly illustrate your identity as a resort.
- Have a logo that displays well in directories and in social media.
- Logos should print well and look great on products.
- Your logo should be easily recognizable and not too complex.
Tips on Social Media Marketing – Avenues That Produce
Social media is a great way to stay connected to your loyal guests. It doesn’t produce online bookings quite like other digital marketing avenues but is an important piece of the digital marketing puzzle.
- Create a strategic calendar.
- Track the results.
- Target unique niches, especially weddings and elopements.
- Test ads and unique targeting.
- Consider a remarketing campaign.
Engage Your Audience with These Tips on Creative Content Building
Strategic content building is an excellent way to bring in people to your website that would not have found you any other way. These pages should provide useful content to the end user and also work towards converting lookers into bookers.
- Create the experience visually.
- Provide insider tips.
- Be the authority on the subject.
- Make sure your content is better than your competitors.
- Integrate strategic and proven SEO.
- Include exceptional video and photography.
Tips on Video Marketing that Sells
Nothing sells a resort better than seeing it and experiencing it visually. Integrating a video marketing strategy is crucial for resorts.
- Showcase the area as well as your property.
- Feature unique amenities.
- Launch niche video campaigns like weddings.
- Include a diverse array of people in your videos.
- Properly push your video in the appropriate online channels for maximum exposure.
- Optimize your videos.
Ways to Feature Your Unique Amenities
Staying at a resort is a unique experience. Those specialized features need to be highlighted properly throughout the website and in the marketing message.
- With exceptional photos and videos, highlight unique features and amenities.
- Include anything that makes you stand out from your competitors.
- Get creative and find something that is uniquely you, like a dessert or drink you can become famous for.
- Highlight your amenities in directories, OTA channels, on the website and in your SEO.
- Conduct keyword research around your amenities like “resorts with private hot tubs in Florida.”
Create Fun Packages and Add Ons – Tips on What Sells
Offering custom packages and add ons is a great way for resorts to increase their bottom line. Here are but a few ideas for custom packages:
- Activity packages.
- Romance upgrades.
- Elopement and wedding collections.
- Vow renewal options.
- Food and beverage add ons.
- Early check in and late check out.
- Spa services.
- Epicurean add ons like mimosas at breakfast, meals, picnic baskets and more.
When you make it easy on the guest to have a memorable getaway you will reap the rewards monetarily and with glowing reviews!
There is much to consider when launching a digital marketing campaign that will not only reach but surpass resort revenue goals. If you would like an analysis of your current resort or lodging website, as well as your marketing efforts, please reach out for this free service. Our top experts will audit your online presence and provide a list of reasons why you might be leaving money on the table.